Saturday, September 02, 2006

book meme thing

My friend Bipin tagged me to do a book meme. I don't consider myself slow but even when I looked up "meme" on wiki I still didn't really get it. But, I followed Bipin's example and hopefully I did it right!!

One book that changed your life: Trusting God - Jerry Bridges
This book absolutely transformed the way that I live my life. I learned how powerful, loving, wise and good God is which of course makes him completely trustworthy no matter what circumstances I come across.

One book that you’ve read more than once: Stepping Heavenward - Elizabeth Prentiss Every girl should read this book! It was hard for me to get into and impossible for me to put down! I read it when I was single and then again after I got married. Its the diary of the life of a (fictional) godly woman and it has inspired me time and time again to press deeply into the Lord and enjoy each season of my life. A good friend of mine just said that she just finished it and its even different after you have kids!

One book you’d want on a desert island: Besides the Bible of course... I'd choose something really long and interesting. I guess I'll steal Dave's cheater method of a trilogy... but I'd choose The Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers. That book is a MUST READ! Everyone I know that's read it (girls that is) absolutely flips out over it.

One book that made you laugh: Blue Like Jazz - Donald Miller - even though I don't think I'd reccomend this book to just anybody I distinctly remember laughing out loud and having to reread things to Johnny because they were SO funny.

One book that made you cry [or feel really sad]
: Million Little Pieces by James Frey. I don't highly reccomend this book because of its content but reading it instilled such a deep compassion and, for lack of a better word, pity for severe drug addicts. Of course, finding out that parts of the story were fabricated made me sad too.

One book that you wish had been written: I'm with Bipin here. I'm DYING to see what happens to our beloved Harry Potter!!

One book that you wish had never been written: Chicken Soup for the Soul series. Call me critical but the first one was touching... the second one a surprisng success for a sequel... but "Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother's Soul" is a stretch... not to mention all the other versions!

One book you’re currently reading: Women's Ministry in the Local Church by J. Ligon Duncan and Susan Hunt. I don't really know what to write about this except that so far its made some good points about how women's ministry should be kingdom-oriented and centered around the question "How can we serve the church" not just focussed on individuals passions, etc.

One book you’ve been meaning to read: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R. Tolkien. I know, I know, it's worth it... I just have a hard time with sci-fi because of the way it makes you think outside the box and this book definitely falls into the "out of the box" category. I can't keep the names of all those creatures and imaginary places straight enough to make it through a few chapters!!

Tag
I'm not sure who to tag. Most people I know won't do this and the ones that I think WOULD recently deleted their blogs (Les!!). Just for the heck of it I'll tag Suzie-Q & my sister Tara if you have time!

3 comments:

Bipin Sen said...

ack! your slide show has taken over your entire blog!

thx for finally doing the meme. don't worry.. i didn't get the wiki entry either.

Anonymous said...

you GOTTA read LOTR ... it's ONE book - that was split into 3 to make it easier on some people heheh!

i found it hard to get into, but once i got past the first few chapters i was hooked, and read the rest of it in like a week!

Anonymous said...

Man, I need to read more fiction! I couldn't get into Stepping Heaveningward so I just put it down. I'm like that with a lot of fictional stories. I'm so lame! I am going to pick out one of the fictional books you said were must reads and tell you how I did! I love the slide with the junk on his head from Addy. SO funny!!
Trill