Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Potty Training - Day One




Well, its official. We're potty training again. I feel bad saying again because I didn't give it too much effort the first time. She wasn't super excited about it and I didn't pump her full of fluids and sit her on the toilet enough. I think I wasn't that into it. Today though, we entered water drinking boot camp..... and SUCESS!

Upon waking up I informed Addy that today we were going to say goodbye to her diapers! She got so sad and said, "Mommy, I don't want to go potty training!" :) I reminded her that Uncle DD & Auntie Beth promised she could stay the night at their house if she was potty trained... and that seemed motivation enough to get her down the stairs without a diaper.

Her first potty of the day was on the floor. I had her drinking water as much as I could and sitting on the potty chair (the little one) as often as I could but she kind of fought it.... and then we had an "accident." I told her it was okay but next time it should go in the potty! So, we sat her on the potty to see if she had any more. Of course she didn't... but I stuffed her with saltines and gave her more water to drink. One of those scheduled times on the potty I was reading her and JM a book and she looked up with a surprise on her face and said, "Mommy! I'm going potty!" Boy, did we have a throw down. All three of us began cheering and dancing and singing and twirling. Addy refers to it as her "poopy party." We then made a big deal about flushing it down the toilet and saying goodbye to it... and then came the potty treat. One peanut M&M. She was so excited.... and then quite manipulatively asked super sweetly, "Two Mommy?" I smiled... but I know my girl... and told her kindly, "No, sweetheart. Only one." It was pretty funny.

So, about 3-4 minutes later we resumed reading our book and she asked me, "Mommy may I go potty again?" To which I quickly and enthusiastically replied "YES!" and put her on the toilet immediately. She went again! Replay, party, dance, treat, manipulative plea for two."

After that she went potty three times during our scheduled potty sitting times and then I let her watch a little bit of a movie. **This is what encourages me the most** DURING the movie she ran into the living room and said, "Mommy I have to go potty again!" So, we "threw" her on the chair and sure enough she went again! So... we'll see what goes on for the rest of the week.... I'm a bit stumped as to what to do at night and for naps.... if anyone has ideas, let me know!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats to Addy on going potty so much today!! As for ideas during naps and at night...umm...yeah, I have no idea. I'll just be getting into the newborn diapers with the cut-out for umbilical cords in about 5 weeks. I'll be asking YOU for suggestions in a couple of years. haha

Aimee said...

How awesome will it be to only have two in diapers - instead of three! :) With my kids, I did day and night seperate. I worked on daytime, and then did a pull-up or diaper at night. Brett is still in a pull-up at night. My kids are such sound sleepers that it doesn't wake them up! Chloe was in a pull-up until she was four! Ugghh!!! I'm working on training Owen now, or should I say he's training me. I gotta just do it, but I'm too lazy - I feel like I just trained Brett! :)

candi said...

Aimee is spot on:) Really have her use the potty right before and right after sleep, but that training usually comes a bit later.

Way to go Addy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yaay, Addy! Maybe you can teach Sadie all your new tricks!!!

Fabio 'n Elizabeth Tsukayama said...

WOO HOO!! Go Addy!

I do know people who insist that it's better to take the dipe off at night as soon as you do in the day.... but with Dominique being such a heavy sleeper, I found it .... too much of a chore for *me* to try to get up and get her up at least once a night to go! I figured she'd get it eventually, and she did! Probably about 8-9 mos after day training, so longer than I had hoped, but ok I guess. Joshua just did the night thing on his own, but it was almost MORE of a hassle, because he would wake up at least once, sometimes more to pee at night, which meant I had to get up with him! So, I almost preferred the way Dominique did it. ;)

GO, MAMA, GO!!!!

Kathy said...

Hey there..how exciting! Go Addy, ahh Mich, yahooo!
Night time, yeah I agree with everyone else, with Connor, we tried soon afterwards and well it didn't work. So we put him in a pull up or even those highly cheap walgreens bigger size diapers. About 6 months later we tried again, and after about 3 nights, he got it.
Looking forward to hearing more on the bootcamp!

wtspb2007 said...

Hi...stumbled across your blog. Congrats on the potty training success! If your daughter is under two and a half, you might want to continue diapers at night until that time....if not, and if she's waking up dry more often than not, you can try going cold turkey! It typically takes most kids about a week of having nighttime accidents before they really get the hang of it.

Warmly,
Suzanne Riffel, author of "The Potty Boot Camp: Basic Training for Toddlers"