Monday, October 15, 2007

A Relateable Loss

By now most of you know that I have been having symptoms of a miscarriage for a few days now. This morning, after visiting the doctor and the hospital, we confirmed what we had suspected was true, out little baby had no heartbeat. And so, I am scheduled to have a D&C at St. Margaret Mercy North first thing in the morning.

Johnny & I are, understandably, quite sad. I was about 11 1/2 weeks along so I think we both thought we were just about out of that "danger zone" and it was a bit of a surprise. We've both had time to pray and grieve together but I wanted to let everyone know that we are both completely at peace and experiencing God's grace in remarkable ways.

A good friend gave us the following verse and I have been meditating on it all day:

Psalm 33:20-23

"Our soul waits for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
For our heart is glad in him,
because we trust in his holy name.
Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us,
even as we hope in you."

Ahh, what sweet peace these words give my heart! Ultimately, my heart's gladness is found in him. Though my husband, my children, my family and my friends give me joy on this earth.... its my Lord who gladdens my heart. Its the gladness I find in him that enables me to take joy in his good gifts. Its his love and goodness that we hope in. Its in his presence that we find rest... not in health, not in life, not in blessings. And nothing can separate me from the love he has for me.

And so, we echo the psalmist's cry, " Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Ps 73:25-26)

Thank you all for your prayers, e-mails and love. We both feel so well cared for.

Love,
Michelle

14 comments:

Bipin Sen said...

Grieving with you in your loss. We love you guys.

Mrs. Smith said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Clair Boone @ www.mummydeals.org said...

We give you our greatest gift: our prayers.

Melanie said...

So sorry to hear about this Michelle. I am amazed and inspired by your attitude though.

Tara Sasser said...

Love you Mick!

Kathy said...

Love you guys...and still praying for continuous peace and grace!

Kristin said...

Dana and I have been thinking about you and praying since we talked on Sunday! We will continue to do so!

Fabio 'n Elizabeth Tsukayama said...

I'm so sorry, Michelle. We are praying for you all and please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help out, k?

Unknown said...

I heard about your loss this morning Michelle and my heart goes out to you and Johnny. I have been praying for you guys all day. Your faith and continuous trust in God during this time really encouraged me. There are no right words to say how sorry we all are for your loss, but know that you have many prayer warriors that are bringing you before the Lord. May God bless you guys!

Frances Vineyard said...

Been there.....praying for you!! Amazed by your strength!

becs said...

Thank you for sharing that verse and your heart. You touched my heart today. Praying for you guys. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Michelle and Johnny,
I just read your blog, I am so sorry to hear about this. I will keep you in my prayers.
I am encouraged by your immediate reliance on the Lord.
You both are such great blessings even in a sad time you can be so encouraging. I Love You,
Sherry Van Ek

lillian said...

God is so good and faithful to bring you such comfort and bring such peace! I am thinking of you and praying that you will continue to place all your trust in the Lord and I am confidant that "he does only good to those who love him!".
love you! Lil

Lisa said...

Oh how I feel for you! I too have experienced this loss and it is so difficult! God has a plan for you though....but I am oh, so sorry!
Hugs,
Lisa